Working abroad has a lot of great personal and professional benefits. That´s why it is not a surprise that, in 2022, more than 3 million people in the world have decided to get out of their comfort zone to live a new working experience in a foreign country. Millions of talented people, mostly the younger ones, want to leave their country to find better career opportunities. However, some don´t know where to start or are scared to take the first step. In addition, being constantly exposed to so many fake offers and scams makes it even harder. In this article, we will guide you through the best tips to work abroad in 2022.
Why should you work abroad?
Opportunities abroad are growing, and you are no longer limited to the open vacancies you can find in your hometown. Not even to the ones within your country. Companies are increasingly more open to globalization and to finding talent outside their borders. Thus, working abroad is becoming easier every day. And that is the first reason why you should try it. Moreover, working abroad also has multiple personal and professional benefits.
- Free traveling. Traveling is one of my most extended favorite hobbies around the world. However, most people don´t travel too often because it can be highly expensive. But good news! Working abroad can solve this problem. By working abroad you can travel the world while earning money at the same time!
- Higher salary wages and better work conditions. We all know that some countries pay more to their employees than others to do the same work (or even less!). So, when you work abroad you increase your opportunities to earn a higher salary. The same happens with the work conditions. By working abroad you get to choose which country´s laws and regulations are more suitable for you. This means that you have higher opportunities to find the perfect working environment for your needs.
- Opportunity to master a new language. When you work abroad you are often required to speak the local language. Some companies offer free language courses. However, you will learn it with practice, because that will be the only way you will be able to create relationships with others.
- More independence and confidence. By going out of your comfort zone, you may start getting to know yourself better. You will discover new skills you didn´t know you had, and you will learn quite useful life skills that will help you boost your confidence and independence.
Tips to work abroad in 2022
Do your research!
Find out which country you can easily find a job in within your industry. Make sure you don´t need any work permits or visas or that those are easy to get. Luckily, European travelers can work all over Europe just using their passport or ID. So, if you are from Europe, I suggest you gain experience abroad in Europe first, before going out of the continent. In addition, there are many job options available within Europe. Just research which language or culture you would like to learn, or where you can find the best opportunities related to your industry.
It is always a good idea to follow social media influencers that offer tips to work abroad. Those will always give you links and websites where you can find good job opportunities. For example, Casey Pickup, on TikTok, talks about how she travels the world by working abroad and gives her followers tips and links to do the same.
Alternatively, you can also check job portals that offer jobs abroad, read the description, and check the company´s website to make sure it is a legit agency. On the following links, you can find some legit organizations that offer different types of jobs abroad within the EU.
On the other hand, if you are a chef, a waiter or just want to start your career abroad in hospitality, I suggest you check our vacancies in The Netherlands. The Netherlands is one of the best countries to work in hospitality, due to their excellent conditions, their multiple laws against employee abuse, and their amazingly high wages.
2. Think of working through an employment agency
The hardest part of working abroad is all the process behind it. Finding housing, arranging all the paperwork, and getting your way into a new country are not easy tasks. And that’s what employment agencies are for.
Finding a good employment agency that can help you through the process without charging you a fortune may be key to a successful career abroad. It is always important to research the agency in depth before taking any steps. *Check this article to recognize fake employment agencies and job scams.
3. Work in hotels around Europe
Hotels in western Europe are a great option to start your career abroad, mostly if you want to start a hospitality career. The Netherlands, Austria, Switzerland, and Belgium have great hotels, that offer jobs with great conditions and high salaries. Hospitality jobs are always available and in high demand, mostly during holidays. In addition, hotels usually offer accommodation and food, so you don´t need to worry about almost anything.
Do you want to work in a hotel? Check out our open vacancies!
4. Get a working holiday VISA for Australia or for the U.S.
If you are between 18-35 years old, you should check this option!
Australia, Canada, and the U.S, among others, offer cheap visas for young talents who want to take a working holiday in their country. Their job positions vary a lot. You can become an instructor in a children’s summer camp, a language teacher, or a waiter, among others. You can visit this website to get more information about this topic.
5. Find a good volunteering program
If you are aged 18-35 and you are a member of the European Union, you can find on this site a great number of nice volunteer programs for free. The difference between these programs from others is that they are offered by a public organization, which means that you don´t have to pay anything for them. Instead, you often get free food, free accommodation, great working opportunities, and in some cases, you even get paid for doing very pleasant work! The type of work can vary a lot, but most of the programs encourage personal growth and professional development.
I hope these tips to work abroad in 2022 will help you go out of your comfort zone and start a very enriching abroad experience! Do you have any questions or want to start working abroad ASAP? Please let us know in the comments below!